Shiny Storm loves Palo Santo!
It’s no secret that I absolutely L O V E crystals: their beauty and magic fills me with joy and sharing their wisdom with others is my life’s purpose. But there are other, very powerful tools Mother Earth offers, which we can use to help in our healing and wellbeing journey alongside crystals. Palo Santo is one such offering.
I feel a deep affinity with this incredible product as it comes from my home of South America, just smelling it brings back memories of my childhood and feelings of peace and comfort.
What is Palo Santo?
Palo Santo (Bursera graveolens) is a tree native to the dry, tropical forests of South America, primarily in Ecuador and Peru. It belongs to the same plant family that gives us revered the products of frankincense, myrrh and copal.
Palo Santo is a sacred wood, the name literally translates to ‘holy wood’, and it is just that. When burned, the wood gives a beautiful aroma of lemon, mint and pine, and the smoke is believed to have both medicinal and therapeutic healing powers.
Some of the most well-known Palo Santo uses include inspiring creativity, evoking protection, infusing blessings and bringing both love and good fortune.
History of Palo Santo
Traditionally, Palo Santo has been used by Indigenous Latin American cultures for centuries including the Incas of the Andes Mountains. Shamans and medicine people would burn the wood to cleanse the air, provide spiritual and energetic purification and healing.
Why is Palo Santo so special?
Apart from its gorgeous aroma when burned and energetic healing properties, we must be patient when it comes to harvesting Palo Santo.
The wood comes from naturally fallen trees and branches that must lie dead for four to ten years before it is harvested for use. This ensures the oils in the wood have had enough time to mature: respecting this time frame ensures a very good quality product that is constantly surrounded by love and appreciation.
There are some businesses bypassing the smaller, indigenous owned Palo Santo businesses, which sell ‘fake’ wood, or wood that has not been sourced sustainably. I’m proud of my South American heritage and ensure that Shiny Storm only sources Palo Santo from sustainable and Indigenous producers. Not only does this make me feel like I’m making a difference to those farmers and being respectful of Mother Earth, but I know I am providing a superlative product for my wonderful clients.
Benefits of using Palo Santo
This is a wonderful tool to burn before and during your meditations. Its uplifting scent helps to raise your vibration to bring a deeper connection to the Earth and your divine source.
For physical healing, the benefits of Palo Santo include relieving symptoms of common colds, stress, headaches, anxiety, inflammation, emotional trauma and more.
It is also a powerful tool to use when sealing your intentions and goal setting.
How can Palo Santo cleanse my home?
This incredible wood is said to provide energetic protection, remove any negative energy, uplift your mind and spirit, cleanse your aura and fill your home with peace and blessings.
Are you ready to feel the sacred healing this magical wood can provide?
Here’s my step-by-step guide to using Palo Santo wood in your home:
- Light your Shiny Storm Palo Santo stick along one side.
- Allow the stick to catch fire and flame for about 30-60 seconds. Gently blow it out. The stick may need to be relit several times as it will tend to self extinguish: this is a normal and unique aspect of Palo Santo.
- Say aloud or silently, ‘I ask that the plant spirit of Palo Santo please infuse this space with blessings.’ Alternatively, simply cast your intention and energy into the space, asking for whatever you seek at that moment.
- To fill your space with blessing, start at the front door and walk clockwise through it with your smoking Palo Santo. To bless yourself, space or crystals, simply allow the smoke and rich smell of the Palo Santo to fill the room.
- When you’re finished, place your Palo Santo stick in a fireproof container.
- The glow at the end of the stick should eventually go out on its own.
- Unlike conventional incense, which burns out completely after lighting, your Shiny Storm Palo Santo wood may be relit several times.